Thursday 12 June 2008

The LOTUS




REBIRTH. SURVIVAL. PURITY.

"Violence against women is perhaps the most shameful human rights violation. It knows no boundaries of geography, culture or wealth. As long as it continues, we cannot claim to be making real progress towards equality, development, and peace."
-Kofi Annan, United Nations Secretary-General



"Violence against women is an issue that cannot wait. A brief look at the statistics makes it clear. At least one out of every three women is likely to be abused in her lifetime. ... No country, no culture, no woman young or old is immune to this scourge. Far too often, the crimes go unpunished, the perpetrators walk free....It is a campaign for the women and girls who have the right to live free of violence, today and in the future. It is a campaign to stop the untold cost that violence against women inflicts on all humankind."
-Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to the Commission on the Status of Women

New York, 25 February 2008

A real CRISIS. Be AWARE. Live with DIGNITY. Let no one abuse your SELF ESTEEM.

6 comments:

jafabrit said...

I really like your artwork and relate to your post as I was a victim of terrible abuse. I say was, because I spent many years reclaiming my dignity, self esteem and guard them well.

I hope you don't mind me adding your to my blog links as I like to click on them and visit all my fave sites now and again. I definitely would like to visit your lovely blog again.

regards Corrine aka jafabrit

Eveline said...

The other day my father-in-law (well, not really because me and my fiance are not married yet) said something about how 30 years ago women would not speak up to a man 'like that' (referring to a scene on Eastenders for crying out loud) and that things 'have changed so much'. He did not finish his thought, but I was getting so worked up. As if women are only put on the planet to have babies, cook and clean. I can't believe there are still people out there with such old fashioned outlooks on life. And he's only 60...

Connie said...

The second I saw this painting my eyes almost couldn't believe the sight. Sunday night I had this extremely vivid dream that two women were at my door that had huge red flowers growing out of their heads. Since then I keep thinking of that dream and wondering what it means. Your video & painting answered my wonder. Your painting is almost an exact portrait of the women in my dream!

Your work is so beautiful. Your spirit shines right through your painting and your blog. I am so happy I found you through Erica's Blu Jay Studio's blog. I too am adding you to my favorites.

Peace & Love.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and inspiring. The lotus is the most amazing flower and such a beautiful symbol of how something truly breathtaking can come from mud and dirt and yuck!

Dithi said...

This painting is close to my heart, and I made it for a survivor. When your work reaches out and connects with others who think alike, it feels great. Thank you all for leaving your thoughts here. Love and best wishes. Dee.

Erica Herbert said...

wow dEE! this is BEEEEEEAUTIFUL! just like you sista-girl! awesome!
love, HUGS & sunshine~
eRiCa
www.blujaystudio.com

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger